Image Map

Monday 20 August 2012

Monday Made It Linky

I am linking up again with Tara at 4th Grade Frolics for Monday Made It.

This week I am doing a retro Monday Made It...retro in that I made them earlier like on last Monday and
Tuesday but didn't link up in time.  You may have seen my earlier post on my students performance last week, you can read about it here.  Well most of the costume that my kiddos wore were provided but they didn't have any wings....and a parrot needs wings.  So I set about making 23 sets of wings...yes 46 wings altogether.  It took me a couple of goes to get it right but in the end we flapped up a storm for our dance and they looked great!  Here are some pics of how I made them.

The first time round that I made them I was trying to be quick and easy, so I started off by cutting lengths of black material and sewing on loops of elastic at either end of the material.  I then cut lengths of crepe paper in descending lengths to mimic the wings of a bird.

But I wasn't happy with how they puckered and the streamers got ripped off quite easily.
So that's what happens when you try to take the easy way out.  I then had to pull out all the staples out of 23 sets of wings and re do them.  This time I glued the streamers on with fabric glue and then ran a bead of glue along the top section.  Folded the fabric over to cover the ends of the streamers and let it dry.

 This resulted in a stronger hold on the streamers and we only lost a couple before the dance! As you can imagine after having to do all those wings (twice), rehearse, organise the rest of the costumes and perform, there was no way I was going to make the previous Monday Made It, but I am so glad I finally got to this one.
Here is a pic of my students and me performing.


  1. WOW! That must have taken a lot of time and dedication. They look really cute though!

    Darling Little Learners

  2. Nice one Mrs Poultney. They turned out a treat :)

  3. Absolutely adorable! Thank you for sharing!